Friday, May 27, 2022

I'm tired.

I'm tired of giving FB and metabetawhatevah all my content. I've wanted to just post to my blog. short. long. pics. whatever instead of giving it to a corporation. instead of giving it over to anyone. My content is mine. Me. I am mine. I am my ownself and that's what first drew me into the internet. Well, it was my boss David Boorstin who drew me into the internet. He first told me about it. And then I was hooked. I was an actress-not-really-pursuing-acting...looking for my next thing. ("What am I going to do with my life?!") He told me about the "internet" "netscape" MOSAIC! I went across the street to the McGraw-Hill building and bought a book on "the internet." That was a Friday afternoon. I read it ALL that weekend. Lying on my hat-box patterned sofa. In my little apartment at 40 MacDougal Street. I digressed. So that first "hit" of seeing websites, I got a huge buzz thinking, "I WANNA DO THAT!" I thought (and it's been quoted in many articles about me) I want a web-page. I thought about that famous line from Shakespeare, that I've adapted to: "All the world's a stage and everyone can have their own homepage." This. This is where I can be me. This is where I can express myself fully (well, not too fully) and be safe. I was safe from hecklers, a silent audience, a cough, a theater critic. Safe from rejection of not getting the part. I could stand on my own self-made stage and be me. And I was. And I grew. And it grew. And it imploded. And I imploded. That's it. For now.