Thursday, February 26, 2015

Boys Weekend Freedom!?

It's kind of funny how predictable the sexes can be. I just left my husband and son in Normandy for a few days. It's only the second time my son and I have been away from each other for a few days and I was nervous leaving him. So far he seems he hasn't been upset, but he could be holding it all inside like he did the last time a year ago.

Unlike French families, we eat dinner on the early side and my son is in bed (or nearly) at 7:00 PM.

So you can imagine my reaction when I, sitting in my pajamas in Paris, ready to call my son for a "good-night" call got a text from my husband saying he was thinking of taking our son over to a friend's house for a visit.

Taking our son out for several more hours of visiting, pushing his bedtime back two hours, to me, is a mistake. I believe children need (and crave) routine.

This act is kind of remarkable in its utter French lifestyle approach, and just hours after I left.

Of course, I can hear all the arguments, "it's just one night," "he's on holiday," "let them have fun," "let them try something different," "let your husband manage it..."

And yet, our son didn't go to sleep till 8:40 PM the night before due to a long afternoon at the same friend's, so taking him there again at 7:00 PM seems like a major mistake in my opinion.

Oh well. Truly nothing I can do from here. I am sure he's going to have a good time. I'm sure he's going to be fine. Sure he's going to bed late two nights in a row (later and later each night). Sure he's going to wake up at 6:45 - 7:00 am tomorrow like usual. He'll be tired. Et alors? (And so?)

I guess it's obvious I'm upset not just at the disregard? defiance? of "my" rules, but perhaps it's also a bit of "oh so they get to go have fun and I'm the rule-setting sergeant?" Maybe I feel bad because I feel as if "they" are all up there, laughing at my rules as they shed all established structure the instant I'm out of sight. Maybe I'm just upset my husband couldn't keep our son on his schedule but fell "victim" to perhaps the larger French society pressures up there? I don't know. I'm trying to let go... But that's hard for this mother! :)

Vive le boys weekend?!?!!!!?